Rushbond Group Plc
Crispin House is a prominent Grade II Listed Building, completed in 1926 for a clothing manufacturer and latterly used by an orthopaedic footwear manufacturer until sold for redevelopment in 1997. The new owners wished to breathe new life into the building and set a design brief to create a series of apartments and a commercial unit, with on-site resident car parking.
The scheme concept was to provide stylish accommodation in a location which is within a short walk of the key attractions of the City Centre, including workplaces but also major attractions such as the Leeds Arena to the west. Work commenced in November 2011 and was completed in 2013.
The apartments are of varying sizes and styles, ranging from loft style studios to three bedroomed triplexes with roof terraces and internal gardens.
Internally, the aspiration was to embrace the industrial heritage of Crispin House. The entrance foyer set the tone, using natural raw materials such as textured render, concrete stairs, and copper cladding. This is helped by retaining the existing exposed brick walls, and ceilings. Fittings were chosen to be simple and to minimise visual clutter in order to maintain the existing character of the building.
The refurbishment incorporated a new structural concrete frame with the floor plates aligned to the existing windows and a central spine was created to ensure all apartments had a relationship to the external environment. The use of exposed brickwork, high ceilings together with facilities such as an on-site gym, have proved to be particularly attractive for residents.
The western corner of the building has created an opportunity to create a new commercial unit, effectively extending the shops and services that run along North Street towards the City Centre. Interest in this space is currently being progressed for a food and drink use. Crispin House has a BREEAM rating of ‘Very Good’.